Pages

Tuesday, November 04, 2014

Framed Portraits

 You may remember these portraits I did a few years ago of the kids (aww, look how little they were then!).  I've always just hung them unframed, but I got the idea in my head recently that they needed to be framed in one big rustic wood frame . 
 
I could picture it perfectly in my mind.  Unfortunately, I didn't have any small strips of rustic wood or a willing husband to cut down a bunch of large pieces.  So the project sat on the back burner for a few months.
 
Until I went to Hobby Lobby last week and saw pre-packaged strips of rustic wood!!!  Exactly what I needed!  So I bought a bunch of packages, went to work, and a couple days later, I had this frame!
 
  It fits perfectly on this narrow wall in our hallway.
 
Plus, I can also see it from our kitchen/great room.  You can find me standing here at various times of the day, admiring it!
 
 I didn't do any kind of tutorial, but it's pretty self-explanatory.
 
 I just painted the strips of wood, allowing some of the wood to show through in places, then I cut the strips down to size.
 
Noah's portrait has a little more of an orange tone, and I felt it needed something to tie that "orange" into the rest of the piece.
 
 So I added these strips of vintage wallpaper that had a similar color.
 
 The strips are glued together, but I also added some long pieces on the back to make everything more stable.
 
 I like how those extra pieces on the back of the piece make it float out from the wall a little bit as well.
 
I'm in love with the finished product!!  And I'm in love with the strips of wood from Hobby Lobby- I have a bunch more future projects in mind for them!  When I asked whether these were something they'd be carrying in the future, nobody seemed to know, so I bought all they had at my store!
 
 

4 comments:

Erica of Golden Egg Vintage said...

Absolutely love it! I wish we had a Hobby Lobby around here!
Great Job!
Erica :)

Musings from Kim K. said...

What a fantastic project. I'd definitely be admiring those sweet faces. Love the location too.

PS. Are you starting to think about Christmas decorating? I can't wait to see your fabulous vintage collections and your dollhouses all decked out!

Rose Garden Romantic said...

It's wonderful! What a lovely idea! It's the perfect frame for those beautiful portraits! I love Hobby Lobby! I may have to go get myself some of that wood! What department did you find it in?
Michelle xo

Two Moms and a Gma said...

I absolutely love this.