Pages

Sunday, November 06, 2011

Extreme Home Makeover-Dollhouse Edition

You may remember this dollhouse from a few weeks ago.  I really, really need to get better at taking "before" photos, but when I got it, it was in sorry shape.  I cleaned it up a bit, and did some re-wallpapering (seen below). 

Since it's pretty sturdy, I decided to risk it and put it into the toy room to actually be played with (I know, gasp!  Actually let my children play with my vintage toys?  What kind of mother am I??  Tee hee!).   But it really needed some furniture in order to be play-worthy.  While I'd love to go out and get some cute vintage furnishings, I know that I wouldn't trust a two-year-old to play with them (my generosity only goes so far!), so I decided to improvise.  Here are the results!

I added some curtains and filled the house with furniture.  

I used a combination of wooden furniture from one of those wooden toddler dollhouses (which didn't ever get played with by the boys) and plastic furniture from a vintage Playskool Victorian dollhouse like the one here.   When I found the Playskool dollhouse at the thrift store, it had tons of extra furniture and dolls, so there's enough for both of the houses! 
(It resides in Avery's room- you can see it towards the end of this post.)

 The beautiful master bedroom, with Mom taking a nice nap...

 The bathroom, complete with training potty...

 The nursery with bunk beds and baby cradle...

 The kitchen with big sister watching the baby...

 And the living room- gotta have the TV in there to please the kids and Dad!


It think it turned out really cute, if I do say so myself!  It's completely kid-friendly, yet much cuter and eclectic than a modern kids' dollhouse.  And Avery has actually been playing with it!  It is just so much fun getting to play "girl" stuff with her! 

Hope you enjoyed the house tour!




5 comments:

Musings from Kim K. said...

Darling! Simply darling! I hate to admit how many dollhouses I have in my craft room. I buy them for the girls (yeah...right). I have a really large one sitting on the floor that I'm tempted to redo for Josie for Christmas. Perhaps, I'll be doing an extreme home makeover dollhouse edition in the near future too.

OliversForest said...

what a great makeover!

My Vintage Mending said...

I call the deer wallpaper room....Ha! Wonderful makeover. Of course I never thought to go extreme on mine. What a fantastic idea! Smiles...Renee

magie said...

Love the makeover! That is just the sweetest looking doll house :) Such cute wallpapers..the deer one is adorable!

Unknown said...

gorgeous! There are so many sweet details I could write forever to comment on them all. I have to say my favourite thing though is the doll house for the doll house - so sweet!