Pages

Monday, September 20, 2010

The Picnic Blanket

Here's the picnic blanket I mentioned in my last post.  (It's been a while, I know, but better late than never!)  Since Avery has been crawling around, I've continually wished I had a nice blanket to lay out in the grass that was waterproof on one side, and soft on the other.  Well, I looked and looked, and could never find exactly what I was looking for. It seems like such a common thing to want, but apparently not!
 
Well, a couple months ago, I discovered laminated cotton, and the rest is history!  I made a patchwork with a bunch of vintage sheets, layered some thin quilt batting in between, and finished the edge with blanket binding.  Really simple, and works beautifully!   We've used it in the grass several times, and it made its debut at the beach this weekend, with great results!

As you can see, the kids love it, and it's plenty big for everyone to fit!  And it's super-soft and comfy because of the vintage cotton of the sheets.

That's it for today, but I've been accumulating a lot of wonderful thrift and vintage finds that I hope to post soon.  Oh, and Miss Avery had a birthday, so I'll show you pics of that as well!

2 comments:

iHanna said...

Oh, such cute kids - and the blanket is fab. Oh, and the photos - yum! :-)

Karin said...

so gorgeous......I just saw the laminated fabric at my local fabric shop. I was mesmerized by it but could't figure out what to do with it...now I know!