Pages

Monday, November 05, 2007

Cowardly Lion, Some Art, and My Last Name

This is a little late to be showing Halloween photos, but I've been waiting to get the files from my sister, since we were having camera issues that night. (You know those strange times when everything you own starts breaking on you? Here's what's broken for us in the past 2 weeks- digital camera, DVD player, refrigerator, cell phone- I can't wait to see what's next!)
Anyway, here are the kids in their costumes. Riley was a lion, and Noah was a puppy dog. Both were easy costumes that I just made from hooded sweatshirts. Noah was a champ-no complaining at all; he was too busy looking cute! Riley was a different story. This was actually his first Halloween dressing up, and as I expected, he was a little wary. At first he cried when I put on the costume, then he tried to cover his face with the hood, and halfway through the evening, he decided "no hood at all". He wouldn't actually do any trick-or-treating because he was too shy, so I ended up holding the bag for him at each house. So, I guess I've got myself a cowardly lion! What's funny is that I dressed as a lion for one of my first Halloweens, and I was incredibly shy as well. I wish I could find a photo to compare...
Then, here is the spread from Riley's book for his second birthday. While I was visiting my parents a few weeks ago, I came across an old scrapbook of my dad's that included bunches of vintage birthday and Valentine's cards- score! He couldn't care less about them (they're from when he was like 5 or 6, so he doesn't even remember any of the kids who gave them to him), so I snatched them up for my art! You can see I used a couple pieces in this spread.
And this is the cover of Noah's first baby book, which includes his pregnancy-related artwork as well. When I finished this book a few months ago, I had to send it immediately to Somerset for an article I'd written (I think it should be in next month's issue), so I never had time to do a cover. Funny that it's in such similar colors to Riley's spread!

And finally, Beth left me a comment with a funny question the other day. She wants to know how to pronounce my last name! I know, it's a hard one! When I met my husband I wanted to know the same thing! So here goes: "Moort" rhymes with "fort" and "gat" rhymes with "cat". Hope that helps- I've heard it pronounces some crazy ways, so now maybe you guys can spread the word!

Have a great week!

6 comments:

Rose Garden Romantic said...

Your boys look adorable in their costumes! So fun!! Love the baby book pages and cover! My mom accidentally told me she bought me your book for Christmas- YAY! It's at the top of my list and I'm so happy to know I'm getting it! She couldn't help but read it herself first and she says it's wonderful! I can't wait!

Jeanne said...

Beth asked the question that many of us were wondering. I get asked that all the time with my last name too.

Laura Bray said...

So cute. I've read a lot about your books in other blogs & thought I would stop by-BEAUTIFUL!

By the way, this is the year for appliances! Our fridge, dishwasher, & washing machine have all died this year! Hang in there-we figure almost everything is replaced so we're good for another 10 years!

MarilynH said...

Ha! I had the pronunciation of your name right all along. :) Fabulous eye candy layouts!!

Lu said...

the book is amazing. love it.

Samie said...

*laughs* I think I said your last name right -- I rec'ed your book on a vlog post and kinda winged it!