Pages

Friday, May 05, 2006

Little Boy

May 5th of last year, we found out that we were having a boy. Ask anyone who knows me, and they'll tell you how much I wanted a girl. I mean really. Really, really, really wanted a girl. I grew up with 2 sisters and never was around boys growing up, so I know nothing about boys, nor am I too interested in "boy things" like sports, cars, trucks, etc. So it was out of the question that I would have a baby boy.

Well, funny how I had absolutely no say in the whole thing! So when we saw that ultrasound and the technician pointed out what made that blob a definite boy, I was slightly heartbroken. I just could not fathom how I was going to raise a little boy. But, as time wore on, I felt him kicking inside me, and I saw his face once he was born, and slowly my mind began to change. How could I have wanted a girl over this sweet little boy?


And so now I'm completely converted. I can't even imagine if he had been a girl. I can feel such a special relationship building between us that would not be the same as with a girl. Of course this isn't to say that I won't be hoping for a girl next time. After all, if I'm going to have my Mama's Boy, then Jason has a right to have a Daddy's Girl!

All this to tell the story behind this spread I did in his book today....

5 comments:

Rosa said...

I was the opposite, growing up with three older brothers. I am so glad I have two boys...I wouldn't know what to do with a girl! But, as you said, we all adapt beautifully and couldn't imagine it any other way.

Anonymous said...

DELIGHTFUL as ever Corey... The world has a way of giving us what we need...

Amy said...

Corey, I know just what you're saying. When I was pregnant with our first son, all I wanted was for our first baby to be a girl. At the first sonogram we were told the baby was a girl, "maybe, like 85% chance." Well, the second sonogram made it perfectly, 100%, clear that our baby was, in fact, a boy! It took about half a day and some intensive baby boy shopping to get over it. Little boys are a hoot to have (at least so far, almost five years into it, heh).

Erika Tysse said...

Aww yes, I was certain with number three that it was the long awaited for girl but alas, here I am with 3 boys! It is fantastic even if I find bottlecaps and rocks in their pants or sand from their hair in their beds. Its all good! Hope that the next one is a boy! It makes it soooo much easier!

Kari said...

I absolutely LOVE this book your doing for Riley. I did a similar type of book when my son was very young. You can find it on my picturetrail site at www.picturetrail.com/cosmiccutie

I just love altered baby books! Very, very inspiring:)